Saturday, March 8, 2008

Where to begin?

At the beginning, duh, which is my second trip to the Ice Park.

The single-block competition was done, so I decided to get a couple of snapshots of the finished pieces. To get the full effect, the night time is the right time. But I was going to see a play later, so I'd just have to make do with high-noon sunlight.

What I didn't plan on was the gusty winds causing a painful chill at the base of my skull. Making matters worse was the tunnel effect of the paths at the Ice Park. I'd always conceded that a -40 day in Fairbanks is more pleasant than a zero day in Minnesota with strong winds, but now I had empirical data to support it. I didn't stay for longer than 30 minutes.

I'll package the pics from that trip in a later post with the ones I'll take tonight.

But the day wasn't a bust. I met Christi downtown for Thai food and a play later that night. Having never tried curry before, I was lucky to have someone there. Christi would notice when I was staring at my food in a perplexed gaze and let me know what the heck to do with it. Honestly, if it ain't a sandwich, I'm confused. It took me three months to understand salad.

We hopped across the street to the Empress Theatre to see "Camino Real," a Tennesse Williams' play that substitutes a narrative with a head trip. There was a plot, I think, but I instead took interest in the minor aspects of the show. Throughout the play, there's gypsies, whores and the like reacting to the play's events, and I found myself watching them as much as the central action.

I enjoyed the play itself, but what I enjoyed more was forgetting that I was in Fairbanks.

This is a great place, but my existence the past six months has revolved around either discovering Alaska or working for the newspaper. I needed a break. I had been having recurring dreams where I was in Tampa, Gainesville or Bradenton with the Armstrong All-Stars. I haven't been homesick (consciously, anyway), but it is jarring to awake 5,000 miles from where you thought you were.

Someone once described Interior life to me as "hyper-life" because everything you do is complicated by the environment. It's like when Justin and I went on a beer run during Hurricane Francis and got hit by 70 mph wind gusts running back to my dad's SUV: All we did was buy a 24 pack of Bud Light, but we did it in a hurricaine. Same premise here: I didn't just go Christmas shopping, I went Christmas shopping in -40 weather.

But hyper-life wears on you, and it was refreshing to spend a few hours forgetting where I was.

My back was sore from sleeping in an awkward position earlier that day, and plopping in a theater chair for 2-plus hours didn't help the fact, so when it was time to hit the Midnite Mine for a few rounds, I was more than eager.

At the Mine, Christi and I met up with Mary, who played a -- ahem -- practitioner of the oldest profession in the play. A pretty girl who can drop a dirty word like a SCUD, I immediately took a shine to her. She's a design geek, and I try to understand design (seeing as it's part of my job and all) so I limped to keep up in the conversation, barely getting by with a few well-placed eyebrow raises and head nods.

At 1, I headed to the Big I to catch up with Adam, who had turned 24 at midnight. The place was unusually dead, and Adam was beat from a rough night on the job. We had a drink and shot the breeze about the NBA trade deadline before admitting the night was done.

The next day, I attempted to treat him to a birthday lunch, but most of the downtown restaurants wouldn't comply. That's the thing about Fairbanks: Nothing is open on a Sunday. There was a time Rich and I tried to order a pizza one Sunday while watching football. No luck. I had to go to the supermarket. Coming from a town where every other building is a restaurant, being closed on the day everyone has free time is absurd to me.

Speaking of free time, I finally am spending some of mine at a gym. Adam gave me a 10-day pass to the Mary Siah rec center (a community pool with a less-than-modest weight room) which he had adopted from Rich a year ago. It takes some creative engineering to get a full workout in, especially when none of the equipment is made for 6-foot-plus individuals, but it's enough and I'm already waking up with a little more energy after just a week.
Well, this is a long post, so I'll end it ...




here.

4 comments:

Armstrong43 said...

WOAH!! Bro, I am digging the new doo...Maybe Nikki will let me go for that look. Glad to see you are having dreams/nightmares about us down here, also glad to find out that I'm still an all star, even after years have passed since my best Babe Ruth baseball days. Stay warm bro.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Stephenie said...

miss you Josh!!!

<3

Alaskan Dave Down Under said...

You mean the wind actually blows in Squarebanks now???? Will wonders never cease?