Tuesday, June 17, 2008

View from the top

UPDATE #1: Check out James' Flickr photostream for more pictures and commentary while I wrestle with uploading huge photo files while sharing bandwidth with my roomate.

Ummm ... dad, care to put in for a transfer?



At this point, with the road still well-paved, these curves looked inviting.




My second trip to the Yukon River. It's a bit bigger here than in Whitehorse.




Ladies and gents, the Yukon River airport -- with a runway so close to the highway they stop traffic so planes can land.



Theses are the brave souls who took the plunge in the Arctic Ocean. The two on the right are the ones who went topless.


Waaaaay in the distance is Finger Rock. Waaaaaay not in the distance is my finger. Just so you can tell the difference.





About three hours into the trip, there's ice on the side of the road. It is June 9. What the heck am I doing living up here.




Gobblers Knob. Tee hee.



Ah, Atigun Pass. I don't know when this picture was taken, but I can assure you it was no more than 30 seconds before or after I yelled an expletive while trying to keep the Jetta on the road and out of a semi truck.



Here's what the Arctic Circle sign looks like from the back.




Though we saw plenty of caribou, this picture at Prudhoe Bay is the only proof.




Hello, Mr. Cheney. By the way, the pink flamingo at the bottom is one of nine that can be found above the Arctic Circle on the Dalton Highway. Yup, a place so desolate they feel sorry for the tourists who have nothing to do and give them a scavenger hunt.



It's a bit hard to see here, but these trees have little or no leaves or bristles until the top. They reminded us of the Lorax.

2 comments:

holmesbeachwalker said...

Heh,heh.....transfer to Alaska, your funny son! I am sending the pic w/comment to be placed in the Sysco newsletter, just in case there are any openings.....
Great pics - found other adventurous/crazy? souls even at the end of the world-Artic Ocean....I have goose bumps thinking of the temp of water.....want your cat up there yet???

Mario said...

While the scenery I saw was simply for a short time you see some stuff most people can only dream of.